Gyan Chand Jain Commerce College , Chaibasa was established in the year 1972 by the social activist and entrepreneur Sri Gyan Chand Jain, committed to empowering the poor people, especially those belonging to ST/SC and OBC population of Chaibasa and adjoining places by providing quality education.
Gyan Chand Jain Commerce College is at present a reputed constituent unit of Kolhan University, Chaibasa, located at Chaibasa. The College is about two km away from the main town and well connected by roads. The College is situated within the circumference of about 7 acres of land donated by Late Gyan Chand Jain. The College is catering to the need of Commerce education since its inception. Over one thousand four hundred fourteen students are coming from the adjoining areas as well as from the far flung villages acquiring quality commerce education. Commerce education which will help them become self-reliant. This College has earned the distinction of teaching ideals of duty, discipline and moral values apart from the normal academic activities. This College imparts under-graduate honors level as well as P.G. level teaching in commerce with the mission to equip the students more suitably to face the challenges of life. Our faculty is committed to give their best in teaching and all rounds development of the students. In 2012 a Girl was topper in U.G. level in Jharkhand. The Chancellor awarded gold medal and certificate. In P.G. level University topper was also from our College. The College arranges tutorials, free coaching classes of all competitive examination as per need of ST, SC, OBC and poor students. The College is encouraging the students to join in sport activities and NSS Programs. The College has also taken initiatives to collaborate with other organizations for fostering research activities. Students of this College are selected to participate in NSS programs like tree-plantation program, blood donation camps, AIDS awareness program, Swachhata Abhiyaan mission.
Our vision is to be the finest institution in Commerce education by providing value based and career-oriented education and create self-reliant citizens with moral values and social responsibilities. We aim to emerge and sustain as a center of excellence for commerce education.
We are also aiming to start vocational courses very shortly and make our college as a role model institution of our university in this tribal dominated region. The teaching and non-teaching staffs are adequately qualified and experienced. They have the potential to take up the challenges ahead.
- To provide adequate infrastructure.
- To encourage the faculty and students to purse academic excellence.
- To ensure quality education for the ST/SC/OBC and economically weaker sections of this region.
- To impart human values and to promote leadership qualities among students and make them able to face the challenges of life.
- To motivate the students to pursue higher education, appear for competitive exams and other value added programs for their holistic development.
- To provide to the students and bring out their inherent talent.
- To offer vocational education programs.
- To provide faculty and staff with the opportunity to upgrade their knowledge and skills.
- To establish state-of-the-art facilities and resources required to achieve excellence in teaching – learning and supplementary processes.
- To promote awareness about innovation and skill,this meets the requirement of modern business and industry.
- To promote sports and NSS activities.
- To organize talks lecture series and workshops for entrepreneurship development.
- To empower placement cell of our college with qualified and efficient staff.
The institution developed and deployed action plans for effective curriculum through a well-planned and documented process by personal contact, communication, debate, seminar and workshop. At present only UG and PG course in commerce are running.BBA as vocational course and add-on certificate course in computer application are running.Choice based credit system has already been implemented. Students and Teachers ratio is not satisfactory yet but the university is trying to maintain it at sufficient level. The percentage of differently abled students is very low in our college.
Teaching-Learning and Evaluation
The college provides counseling facility along with personalized guidance by subject teachers. Selection list for admission into the courses are sent by the university and displayed on the college notice board. There is an admission committee of the college which looks after the admission process as per the university norms & regulations. Selection list for admission is as per the reservation rules and category wise. Admission process is online. There is a grievance redreissal committee which looks after the admission related problems and queries of the students and parents and the reports are forwarded to the university for needful.
Research, Innovation and Extension
- Three (03) Minor Research Projects funded by UGC have been completed.
- Two teachers are the Ph.D. research guides under Kolhan University, Chaibasa.
- Faculty have published research papers in UGC approved Journals/refereed Journals.
- The faculty regularly participate in UGC sponsored conferences, Seminars and Workshops.
- The college has conducted one UGC sponsored National Seminar and conducts Inter-class seminars.
- The college has NSS unit through which we undertake extension activities in the neighborhood community in the holistic development of students and the vicinity.
- The college conducts extension and outreach programs in collaboration with various stakeholders of the Society-Participation in Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, Blood Donation Camps, Tree plantation, AIDS Awareness, Gender issues etc.
- Internet/Wi-Fi facilities are available in the campus for faculty and students.
Infrastructure and Learning Resources
- The college has satisfactory infrastructure and learning resources including multipurpose hall, seminar hall, computer Lab and support facilities.
- The Library is in the process of digitization. Learning resources like Language Lab, DELNET, INFLIBNET, e-Journals, e-books, Shodhganga, reading room facility are in the pipeline.
- The budget for infrastructure development, library and other learning resources are earmarked annually based on the recommendation of respective committees constituted for continuous upgrading, maintaining and utilizing physical, academic support facilities.
- We are trying to ensure power backup.
- The college has sports activities like Cricket, Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Archery, Badminton, Kho-kho, Yoga etc.
- Separate space for IQAC cell.
The management of the college is to solve basic need of the students of the college, Gyan Chand Jain Commerce College, Chaibasa Was established in the year 1972 at Gyan Chand Jain aam bagan situated in Chaibasa about 7 acres land is donated by Late Gyan Chand Jain and Co-Operated by well knowledgeable person of Chaibasa for smoothly running. The Commerce College become a constituent unit of Ranchi University on 25 th May 1981. Presently the College is under newly formed Kolhan Universtiy, Chaibasa. The founder Principal, Prof. Ayodhya Nath Tiwari was dynamic and well skilled knowledgeable person. He shared his maximum time at College Campus for all round development of this unique only One faculty Commerce College. This College is situated in one of the mineral richest but economically most backward tribal region of India, the institution needs now a fresh appraisal with regard to its possibilities. Kolhan University has declared a post graduate Commerce College, but adequate facilities has not been provided for shouldering the newly assigned responsibilities. This College provides Co-education up to P. G. level only in Commerce faculty one course of BBA under self financial scheme is started in the session 2008-09 and Add on Course in Computer Application in the Session 2019-20. This College has big Campus, multiple Hall, big field and suitable big library. There are many Students specially tribal girls and boys students and poor students is benefited from this College, most of past Students of this College is settled in various filed of Life, like Industrialist, economist IAS, IPS, Bank, LIC, Coal Mines, renowned businessman etc. The institution, which once attained its glorious height, has suffered long the apathy of the University and the Government. Nevertheless it has remained performing to the best of its ability with the available inadequate resources. There has been an exodus of teachers owing to transfer provision, because of want of amenities at Chaibasa. At present there are only Six teachers, 08 Non teaching Staffs and one Prof. In charge for running and manage the Classes and Institution. If the State Govt. and the University fill up all the vacant sanctioned posts of the teaching and non-teaching employees, and certain more vocational course are approved, the college may move work as a role model for certain up coming institutions in the region. The teachers and employees of this college are qualified and competent enough to take up challenges. The need of the hour is to salvage the wounds of this institution.The College has only five Class Rooms but Two Class Rooms is damage. One Ground for football, hockey, basket ball but not up to mark. This College needs repairs/renovation work. The College needs also new class rooms, Hostels, Common Room, campus development. The College wants to develop research & Adequate computer facilities for needs of academic freedom, high quality equal access, non-discrimination by race, religions through SWOT analysis. This is the main vision of the College for the construction of multipurpose hall sport infrastructure E-campus, renovation, of Rooms, sufficient toilet for boy’s and girl’s.
The SWOT analysis carried out on the basis of methodology, analysis, information and data calculation with respect to strengthen, weakness, opportunities and threats.
Strength – Our strength is women students mostly and regularly attend classes. The students have good access to employability, improving interactions within the industry. Our priority o give education to the poor students of the region Chaibasa is surrounding with the industrial area of Jamshedpur, Adityapur, ACC Cement Jhinkpani, Gamahria and many Iron Mines.
Weakness – Acute shortage of Manpower of teaching and non – teaching staff and financial assistance is essential.3. Opportunities – Opportunities can be build through the various strategic plan. If college gets access to facilities, It can have greater freedom in Academic, high quality, equal access, needs based to these poor tribal and backward peoples.
Threats – The infrastructural grants, Research, Innovation and quality improvement equity initiatives, faculty recruitment support, faculty improvement and vocationalization of Higher Education, College has threats from many front. Facilities are scarce to the college. Student and teacher ratio is very miserable (202:1) at present we have only 04 permanent teachers (including Pro. In- Charge) against 1414 students. So the quality of education in this area and vision of social growth through education hampers. Only 08 non-teaching staff are working presently against 1414 students in the college. So the official work is loaded. So the research seminars, work shop Refresher Course and other Academic innovative programs hampers due to shortage of non-teaching and teaching staff.
The Strategic plan can be made successful through all five year plan period with aim, vision and goal, It is a team work process, can solve with cooperation of students teacher, public and staff.
There are priority areas which college needs to work on coming year college will focus on accreditation status through the NAAC. Motivation of more students for higher education, more social value inculcating among all communities in the area and harmony. College will try to achieve more participation in research and academic activities through seminar, workshop, publishing research articles in referred journal. Motivating students to turn out to the college in large numbers.
Our priority in the college is to solve infrastructure and Academic activities. Vacant faculty position to be filled up by the state government, research, innovation quality improvement, equity initiative , faculty recruitment, institutional restructuring and reforms, management information system and Library management facilities.
- Key activities proposed in the Institutional Development proposal are linked with the result of SWOT analysis. These are developmental proposal for IDP.
- Academic Building
- Campus Development
- Library Management System.
- Toilets for Boys and Girls
- Sports Equipment and infrastructure
- Equipment of Fixtures and furniture
- Research and development support:
- Provision of Resources for Resource support
- Providing teaching and Research Assistants
- Faculty Development support:
- Faculty qualification up radiation
- Pedagogical training and
- organizing workshops, seminars and conferences.
- Institutional Reforms: Academic support.
Improving employability of Graduates increasing learning outcomes of the students, achieving the targets of 70% of eligible UG and P.G programs accrediting within 2 years of joining the project and 100% by the end of project. Through SWOT analysis strategic plan is made institutional strengthening , improvement in employability, and learning outcomes of the graduate, Learning out come can be made through coaching classes. NAAC accreditation and quality control are our objective. Environmental creation, survey, training, teaching and learning material and evaluation is our objective.Our objective is to keep training, training for teachers, through orientation program and refresher course. Staff support for technical and non technical basic and advance pedagogy,
economic plan and industrial plan. Implementation of academic and non- academic reforms, improving interaction with in industries, enhancement of research and consultancy activities.
Our objective is to improve the academic performance of SC, ST, OBCs and economically weak students.
Action Plan for
- Improving Employability of Graduates: Employability can be improved by providing more job oriented course which is introduce for students. As well as different type of competitive exams and well equipped placement cell needed for employability.
- Increased learning outcomes of the student: The audio visual hi-tech class room and methodology is needed for increased learning outcomes of the students. The proper student teacher ratio with modern E-Library concepts should be implemented. The appropriate sanctioned strength of teaching and non-teaching is required.